stephen parsick -- cold storage (dark ambient drones)

industrial und artverwandter bereich

Moderatoren: Tardive Dyskinesia, thedi, chikan

stephen parsick -- cold storage (dark ambient drones)

Beitragvon doombient » 31.05.2008 (11:25)

Hi all,

I just wanted to let you know that there´s a new download-only album available via Extended Moment on musiczeit.com:

http://www.musiczeit.com/directory.phpa ... en+Parsick

Here´s a little info:

the music on "cold storage" was recorded at my zwischenraum recording space on 8 november, 2007, during my final rehearsals for the gasometer concert that would take place on 10 november, 2007. when i learned about the concert i was immediately nervous as it had been a dream of mine to play a concert inside the gasometer, ever after having seen french experimentalists of lightwave there in 1996. lightwave were very important as an influence when my own band, which was later to become known as [´ramp], was founded in 1996.

i guess this was my best-rehearsed concert that far. all i did afterwards was tweaking the recordings a bit to make up for the lack of "gasometer" ambience as i decided not to use too much canned reverb for the concert. i thought this was something the gasometer itself should add (and it did, indeed…).

the gasometer is a huge abandoned gas tank, roughly 120 metres in height and 70 metres in diametre. it was used from 1927 to 1985 as a giant storage device for industrial gas which was a by-product of the steel plant nearby. the steel plant shut its doors for good in 1985, and the entire industrial area around it underwent a considerable change. today, one of europe´s biggest shopping centres (or "malls" ) forms the new heart of the city of oberhausen, with the gasometer turned into an enormous exhibition space for contemporary art (with artists like christo, bill viola, and others exhibiting their installations there).

the concert recording itself was released earlier in 2008 as "cryotainer – music for gasometers". here, you´ve got a different take on it. musically, it is of course similar to what i played inside the huge gas tun, but structurally it is slightly different. the ambient sound of the gasometer itself is – of course – missing, too.

"cold storage" is a great way to get an impression of how the gasometer concert felt. if you missed out on "cryotainer" this recording will at least give you an impression of the music performed there but it will in no way make the "cryotainer" album become redundant as both setting and concert were totally unique.

thanks to all supporters world-wide.

Stephen
"It must be true, it´s on the television!" (Genesis P-Orridge)
doombient

Beitragvon doombient » 06.06.2008 (11:47)

Hi all,

"cold storage" is back on musiczeit.com after a minor revision of the print-out booklet. "rhizophora" will be back soon, too. Apologies for the hassle, thanks for reading,

Stephen.
"It must be true, it´s on the television!" (Genesis P-Orridge)
doombient

Zurück zu releases: net Label, mp3, official download